an extensive illustrated lexicon – calculation of relevant values – precious advice – easy handling
Author : B. Paule
Please note: this software version is suitable for the central European climate only (Swiss climate data base).
Leso-DIAL has now been replaced by the software DIAL-Europe, which includes the same user-friendly interface but offers greatly extended possibilities and a European climate data base (other climates on demand). DIAL-Europe is distributed by the EPFL Spin-off company ESTIA.
For Leso-DIAL, there are now no updates/support available.
Leso-DIAL gives architects relevant information regarding the use of daylight at the beginning of the building design process.
- Calculation of daylight factor values on the work plane.
- Appraisal of the daylighting sufficiency:
According to the lighting requirements, Leso-DIAL estimates the time during which artificial lighting can be switched off (Swiss climate).
- Diagnosis and advice on how to optimise the daylighting performance.
Based on fuzzy logic rules, the diagnosis facility of Leso-DIAL indicates the possible weak points of your design.
- User-friendly (developed by an architect …)! No learning time – no specialist knowledge needed.
- Graphic, linguistic or numerical description of photometry and geometry – input adapted to the uncertainties of the early design stage.
- A Lexicon is accessible from any stage of the design. About 100 terms of the lighting vocabulary are presented in a richly illustrated way.
- The quickness of the whole procedure is particularly well adapted to the testing of various configurations.
- In the current version of Leso-DIAL, up to 30 openings and atria can be taken into account, and the user has at his disposal an integrated database of case studies.
Related PhD thesis
“Application de la logique floue à l’aide à la décision en éclairage naturel”, Bernard Paule, 1999
Computer : PC 486 or more
Memory : RAM : 16Mb, Disk space : 10 Mb:
System : Windows 3.11, Windows’95, Windows NT
For very complex geometry or photometry, we recommend the “Adeline” Software.
This software is only suited for central European climates. Other climates and additional functions: DIAL-Europe
Further information : leso-pb[at]epfl.ch